10635 Watterson Trl.
Louisville, KY 40299
Mon: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Tue: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Wed: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Thu: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Fri: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Accessible parking is available in the parking lot on the side of the building. Library materials are available for curbside pickup at all locations.
The City of Jeffersontown has had a public library for most of this century. On May 11, 1911, a library, sponsored by the Current Events Club, was started in a "newly papered and painted" room of the Bruce Building on Jeffersontown's historic Town Square. In 1917, the library received books from the Main Library and was moved to the town bank. From 1917 to 1938, it relocated to various locations, including private homes, and was staffed by volunteers.
In 1939, the library moved to the Municipal Building and later the WPA Recreation Center, the librarians being paid by the Woman's Club. After relocating to the old Jeffersontown High School, the library was closed for four years. It reopened in 1948 on the back porch of Betty Elswick's home. After a stay at this location, the library moved to an annex of the Presbyterian Church, and in 1962 it moved to the Jeffersontown Shopping Center and became part of the Louisville Free Public Library system. From here, the library relocated in 1970 to Colonial Manor, a former county home for the poor.
The library operated in Colonial Manor until 1994, when the branch returned to the shopping center while a new library was constructed. The new branch library was built next to Colonial Manor, and the $1.5 million branch opened on January 29, 1996. The 14,000-square-foot building features a wing devoted to children's and teen's services and materials, an adult reference area with more than twenty computers, a meeting room available for public use, and a comfortable reading area awash with natural light. The Jeffersontown Museum, under separate management, occupies the south side of the structure.