2762 Frankfort Ave.,
Louisville, KY 40206
Mon: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Tue: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Wed: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Thu: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Fri: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Wheelchair ramps are accessible from the library's parking lot and Birchwood Ave. The ramp brings you to the back of the building with push button door access. The inside elevator can take you to the lower level of the building. Two accessible parking spots are available next to ramp in parking lot.
The library has Bluetooth beacons installed by American Printing House, a Braille printer, a computer with a large print keyboard, JAWS and software for people with visual impairments, and a SmartView document enlarger.
The Crescent Hill Branch, constructed in 1908, was one of the first of nine Carnegie-endowed libraries in the City of Louisville. Designed by the local architectural firm of Thomas and Bohne, it is an excellent example of Beaux-Arts architecture. The library building has been adapted over time, but the architectural integrity remains. An addition to the west side of the building was added in 1961, with a renovation in 1988.
The building underwent a major renovation in the early 1990s. During the renovation, the library was temporarily housed in the Masonic Home on Frankfort Ave. On March 24, 1994, the library reopened with a gala reception. Led by local designer, Dwight Cobb, the result is an elegant, stately building with breathtaking interior design. The building is handicapped accessible, and houses two floors of library services, reading/study areas with comfortable seating and lighting and a meeting room. The signature piece of the Library is the Children's wing, complete with a mural of children's literary characters and a castle (turret and all). One of the Library’s two handsome reading rooms was recognized in 2007 by USA Today as one of the top 10 reading rooms in American public libraries.
The Library has a long tradition of involvement in the community. Sallie T. Berryman, who served as the librarian from 1909-1939, organized the first story hour, night classes, boy's and girl's clubs, a child health clinic, and two groups that would later become the Crescent Hill Women's Club. A memorial to Crescent Hill residents killed in World War I was dedicated in 1922. The Library remains actively involved in its community and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2008.