Troubleshooting Access to Research Tools
Problem: When I attempt to log into a research tool, it says, "The system was unable to log you on. Please check your barcode and password."
- To access the library's research tools, you will need a valid library card number and password. Click here for more information about obtaining a library card.
- Did you enter the library card number correctly?
- Is the password entered correctly?
- Is the Caps Lock key off?
- If you are entering your library card number and password correctly, yet still cannot gain access to the online resource, please visit your local branch. After providing library staff information to verify your identity, library staff can reset your password, which should correct the problem.
Problem: I can't get into a specific research tool e.g., InfoTrac OneFile, Business ReferenceUSA, etc.
- Is there a message saying the database's server is down or is having other problems? Sometimes there are server problems on the research tool providers end. Close your internet browser, wait five minutes, and try again.
- Are you accessing the research tool through the library's website? If you are attempting to access the research tool through a direct URL or through a bookmark, then the research tool provider is not recognizing you as an LFPL patron. Please access the Research Tool through the library's website.
- Are cookies enabled in your internet browser? Cookies are frequently used to identify you as an LFPL patron to research tool providers. Check the help file of your internet browser for instructions on enabling cookies.
- Are referring urls enabled in your internet browser? Referring urls are also sometimes used to identify you as an LFPL patron to research tool providers. Some internet browsers allow you to enable/disable referring urls. Check the help file of your internet browser for instructions on enabling referring urls.
- Do you have a filter, firewall, popup blocker, or other security software? Sometimes security software can block access to research tools.
- Are you attempting to access the research tool from work or school? Your place of employment or school may have security software that is interfering with your access to the research tool. Check with your IT department.
- Try to access the online resource through with the Database link that is inside the Web catalog. From any page on the library's Web site, click on the "Library Catalog" button. Click the Databases link, choose A-Z Research Tools (Remote Access), select the resource you need (use the + sign to see a description).
If you are still experiencing problems accessing the library's research tools, please contact the library by telephone at (502) 574-1611 or through our Ask-A-Librarian Form. Tell us the following:
- Your name
- Your library card number
- The database you were trying to access
- Exactly what the error message said (if you received one)
- A phone number or email at which you can be contacted for further information