Full Service Library Card + TARC Student Discount Card
A Partnership with Jefferson County Public Schools, the Archdiocese of Louisville and other private schools
- Useful Websites for Kids and Teens
- Research Tools (find an article, a quick fact or a book)
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Student Power Plus Card?
- How will students receive a Student Power Plus Card?
- What can your child do with a Student Power Plus Card at the library?
- What are the TARC benefits for students?
- What if my child's Student Power Plus Card is lost?
- Will the Student Power Plus Card work after my child graduates from high school?
- What if my child already has an LFPL library card?
- What is the date on the back of the Student Power Plus Card?
- What do the Student Power Plus Cards look like?
- Are Student Student Power Plus Cards secure?
- Who are the Student Power Plus Card sponsors?
- How can I sign my child up for one of these special cards?
The Student Power Plus Card is a multi-use card distributed to Jefferson County Public School, Archdiocese and private school students.
- It’s a library card +
- A student identification card +
- A TARC discount card +
Student Power Plus cards will be sent to schools that choose to participate. School staff will distribute them to students..
With their Student Power Plus Cards, your child can enjoy all of the privileges of a LFPL library member. They can visit the library and check out materials or access the library's website through the Internet to visit special Web pages for kids and teens. Here are a few things your child can do.
- Check out books, audio books, magazines, videos, DVDs, music CDs, and more.
- Find resources to help you with your homework such as full-text articles from newspapers, magazines, and reference books through the library's online research tools.
- Take practice tests for the SAT, ACT, GED, ASVAB and some AP exams using the Learning Express Library.
- Download audio books at home from NetLibrary and transfer them to their personal MP3 player.
- Use library computers to connect to the Internet, type papers, create slide show presentations, play games, connect with friends, edit digital photographs, make digital art, map GIS data, and much more.
- Reserve books and pick them up at your local branch library.
- View events on the library's Web site and find out about family storytimes, after school clubs for teens, book discussion groups for children and teens and find out about other fun programs they can attend.
- Take advantage of other library services.
Students showing Student Power Plus Cards to TARC bus drivers get discounted fares:
- The Student Power Plus Card will act as the student TARC ID card.
- Students will be able to ride TARC anytime for the student discount by showing their Student Power Plus Card card.
- This discounted fare is good also during evenings and summer.
- To find the current student discount fare, click here.
Contact library staff if your child loses their Student Power Plus card . A new card will be mailed to you.
After your child graduates, they can continue to use their Student Power Plus Card as a Louisville Free Public Library card, but it will no longer work as a TARC student id to receive a discounted fare.
Have your child use their new Power Plus Card. Information from their older library card account will be transfered to their Student Power Plus Card account.
It is your child's expected graduation date.
Yes, Student Power Plus Cards are secure. Like always, patron’s library card records are private and confidential. The information we have (address, phone number, birth date, materials checked out) is still private and confidential. All parties involved, the Library, JCPS, Polaris, and the card manufacturer understand privacy issues. This card will have the same security as our current cards do. JCPS will not be able to use our barcode to access library card information, as we will not be able to use the JCPS student ID to generate any student’s school records. Any statistical information generated about library use will be from groups, not individuals. For example, the library may run a report showing which school had the highest number of LFPL materials checked out.
Student Power Plus Card sponsors include the Louisville Free Public Library, Jefferson County Public Schools, TARC, The Louisville Free Public Library Foundation and the Archdiocese of Louisville.
Contact the principal at your school regarding partnering with the library for the Student Power Plus Card Program. For more details, contact Kate Schiavi at (502) 574-1620.