The trained staff of Main Information Services, located on the second floor of the Main Library's North Building, is able to help you with your business information needs. Additionally, our website offers a large collection of business-related links as well as many subscription databases.
We can help you gather information to start your own business, locate suppliers, determine the outlook for an industry, find other companies in your field,contact associations and organizations that serve your industry and more. The Library offers information on:
- Addresses and Telephone Numbers
- Regional Information
- General Business Subjects
- Small Business Start-up Collection
- Marketing and Industry Outlook
- Patents and Trademarks
- Job Search
- Electronic Collections of Magazines, and Newspapers, Company Profiles, Legal Forms and Investing Aids
- Company and industrial directories help locate people, businesses and organizations.
Sources available: Standard and Poor's directories; business and manufacturing directories for Kentucky and ReferenceUSA: An online database of over 12 million U.S. companies compiled from white and yellow page telephone directories. Includes address, phone number, zip code, and line of business. Annual sales figures, number of employees, and credit ratings are provided also.
- local business clippings; business directories.
Sources available; Kentucky, Indiana and Miscellaneous clippings from the Courier Journal and Business First dating back to August, 1989. Dun and Bradstreet's Dun's Regional Directory covering the local Metropolitan Statistical Areas. Includes name of business; address; phone number; sales; and number of employees (when available, officers) ; and SIC designations. Arranged alphabetically by city and zip code; also includes listings by SIC and alphabetically by company name; Kentucky Business Directory, Kentucky Manufacturing Directories; Kentucky Service Business Directory
- Financial data
- Company histories
Sources available: Mergent Manuals; International Directory of Company Histories.
- Business plans
- Human resources development
- Starting a business.
Sources available: Small Business Sourcebook; Business Plans Handbook.
The Reference Department includes a Small Business Start-Up Collection. This collection includes books on writing business plans, starting small businesses and finding loans.
The Louisville Free Public Library houses one of The Foundation Center's cooperating network of collections located in Kentucky. Information is available about grants for businesses and individuals. The Library also has the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, which lists grants and loans available from the federal government. The Library also has the FC Search CD-ROM.
- Stock Information
- Stock quotations
- Bond and mutual fund information
Sources available: Value Line Investment Survey; mutual fund newsletters; Mergent Bond Record; Morningstar Mutual Funds; Standard and Poor's Daily Stock Price Record, and Morningstar Library Edition Online.
Data from the Federal government as well as private sources to help profile a geographic area or an industry for potential business.
Sources available: Standard and Poor's Industry Surveys; County Business Patterns. The Business Reference area has a collection of industry information sources.
Paper and computerized indexes, assistance in identifying patents in your field, full texts of patents. For more information, look at our Patents and Trademarks page.
- Job leads and interview techniques
Sources available: classified sections from major U.S. newspapers; federal job bulletins; the Library has an extensive collection of resume and interview technique books.
U.S. Government Publications: The Library is a depository for Federal publications. This provides access to laws, regulations, statistics and census data, and government studies.
The Reference area has a demographics collection covering Kentucky and United States demographic information.
Electronic Collections of Magazines, and Newspapers, Company Profiles, Legal Forms and Investing Aids
Over 700 business and investment related magazines easily accessed through computer terminals.
- The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and the Courier-Journal
- Business Source Premier - Provides full text for nearly 1,380 scholarly business journals covering management, economics, finance, accounting, international business and much more.
- Business ReferenceUSA - Contains company profiles, company directory information, and newsfeeds about companies.
- Legal Forms - Contains KY and US legal forms. Includes real estate contracts, wills, pre-marital agreements, bankruptcy forms, divorce forms, landlord tenant contracts and more.
- Morningstar Library Edition - Contains stock and mutual fund analysis and reports.